Change of KCC certification policy - KC mark approval

written by Soo-GIl, Kim (sgkim@kc-mark.com / sgkim@ist.re.kr)

The KCC mark was unified to KC (Korea Certification) mark since Jan. 24th, 2011.
But the KCC certification will be still valid application for the entire Broadcasting Commnucations Equipments (including all ITE) from then on. Only certification logo was changed from KCC mark to KC mark. 

Because whole process of KCC approval was changed, there are much confusion between Korea Gov. and applicants.
Under new process, there are three types for KCC approval.
1) Compatibility Certification (similar with the former process)
2) Compatibility Registration (similar with the FCC TCB process)
3) Tentative Certification (similar with the CE DoC process)

Under new KCC rule, the certification information (KC logo and KCC certi no. and others) should be attached both the product and the packaging.

To know more detail information, please refer to the linked brief guide.
- changed KCC guide (for KC mark approval)

If you have any question about Korea Certification, please don't hesitate to contact with me. (sgkim@kc-mark.com)


Internal Component Verification process for Blade System

Internal Components Verification process for Blade System

How can apply for KCC certificate for blade system
- written by Soo-Gil, Kim (sgkim@kc-mark.com / sgkim@ist.re.kr)

The Internal Components Verification is the inside process for KCC approval. 
This process can reduce the approval cost, and is applicable to the blade systems.

The below is the normal configuration of blade system.

Each blade may be a blade server, switch, controller or storage.
This case is a little different with the above-mentioned case of PC and MB. MB can not be operated without the chassis and other components, but these blades may operate alone or not.

The applicant can choose two ways.
If he wants to get each test report for each blade, he needs 13 tests and 13 certificates for one enclosure and 12 blades.
But if he doesn’t need to get each reports, he can get 1 report, and 13 certificates from one test. This is the merit of Internal Components Verification process.
Actually the test fee under this process is a little more expensive, but the whole approval fee is very cheap than the first process.

When we follow this process, what is difference concerning on the required docs?
The required docs are same which way we follow. The only one different thing is the test report. Because the blade system is out of the scope of KC (electric safety), KCC mark is only compulsory mark for Korea market.
The required docs for KCC (EMC registration) are,
- Local Representative Letter (if the applicant is a foreigner)
- Modification Letter (if it is needed to add the series model name or various manufacturers)
- System Block Diagram
- User’s Manual (both Korean and English)

Inside KCC mark process - Internal Components Verification

Inside KCC mark process – Internal Components Verification process

How can apply for KCC certificate for PC and MB at one time – introduction of unknown internal process
- written by Soo-Gil, Kim (sgkim@kc-mark.com / sgkim@ist.re.kr)

This ‘Internal Components Verification’ process is not well-known to the applicant. Let’s think about MB (mainboard). To do EMC test for MB, we need a chassis and some components like SMPS, CPU, HDD, etc. Namely we need a full PC system to measure the MB. If you sell PC and MB separately, you need to get two KCC certificates for each one. But in this case, why do you need two test reports for each one? In any case, they have same test results, aren’t you?

To reduce an necessary additional testing, RRA has a certain process named as ‘Internal Components Verification’. The normal case of this process is the above-mentioned. Then what is the condition of this process?

Basic Condition
- The applicant of each component should be same with the test report. (e.g. If the applicant is ABCX of the PC system, the applicant for MB should be ABCX.)
- The model name of each components can not be changed to the name on the issued test report of PC (it can be changed after completing the new approval)
- The specification of each component should be described on the test report.
- If it is required, the report should show the test results for various test mode of each component.
- This process for each component can be submitted after completing the approval of PC system.

Many domestic labs hesitate to follow this process, because it is not easy to do. But almost applicant can reduce the approval cost. If you are the applicant, why don’t you try to do? This process is applicable to a blade server system.


[Case Study] KCC mark for SFP Transceiver miniGBIC module

[Case Study] KCC mark for SFP Transceiver miniGBIC module 

Recently issue - How about KCC approval for SFP+ Transceiver miniGBIC module

- written by Soo-Gil, Kim (sgkim@kc-mark.com / sgkim@ist.re.kr)

Almost switching products support an optical communication through an optical fibre channel. Also some servers or storages include these modules like SFP+ Transceiver (miniGBIC module) too. Actually these optical fibre communication modules are out of the scope of CISPR 22 and 24. For EU market, there is no need to do EMC test. But for Korea market, the manufacturer or seller has to get KCC (EMC registration) mark before selling.

(Drawing sample of KCC mark on SFP+ Transceiver)

Why have to do? - I can not answer it, because it is the policy of RRA (Radio Research Agency - compulsory mark agency under Korea Gov.). If you want to sell them on Korea, you have to get KCC mark!!

The vendors of server/storage/switch products normally get KCC certificate of them through 'Internal Components Verification' procedure. In any case - although these optical products need KCC mark or not, they should do EMC testing for their products. Therefore they don't need additional EMC test for these optical modules.
Concerning on 'Internal Components Verificaation' procedure, I will write it later.
In this time, just remember that SPF/GBIC modules need to get KCC certificate.


KCC Requirements (Products Photos)

KCC Requirements (Products Photos)
- Soo-Gil, Kim (sgkim@kc-mark.com)

To apply for KCC certification, we have to submit the product photos to RRA.
It is very important contents to get KCC mark. In other country's application like CE or FCC, the application reviewers doesn't matter the clearness of photos. But the reviewers of RRA have too much concerns the clearness of photos. They told us that all internal photos should show the components numbers, it is so stressful to the test engineer. Because the engineers are not a photographer.

According to MRA process, many foreign labs in USA usually submit their test reports and the product photos to RRA through the domestic agent. In many cases, the only problem to these approvals is the product photos. Why? Unfortunately almost reviewers working for Gov. are not reasonable.

The following sentences are from the notice of RRA.

A] External Diagram (External Photos)
Certification indication items should be distinguished. Photos or drawings with regard to the following should be submitted. Photos should be shot by a digital camera or scanned by a scanner, printed in color and then submitted. The size should in principle be 20X25 cm, but can be adjusted according to the size of the target equipment.

Certification indication item
The applicant should refer to the Certification indication menu, and produce the product name label and attach it to the equipment. When applying for test, the applicant may leave the certification and manufacture date blank which have yet to be confirmed, make a design, print a temporary label on paper and attach it to the equipment. When printing the label and shooting it, the letters written in the label should be discernible.

[Caution] For the electrical safety test, the applicant may attach a temporary label printed on paper to the equipment to be submitted for test with the understanding that the label material quality should be verified. Thus, the applicant should select the actual label material to be used later, and submit it for durability test, or should submit the related label’s durability certificate when the actual label to be used passed durability test by a domestic or foreign certification agency

External diagram
All sides (front, rear, left, right) of the equipment should be able to be confirmed, and if the label is not distinctively iscernible, the applicant should prepare an enlarged label.

B] Parts location diagram or photos (Internal Photos)
Parts location should be discernible. The applicant is required to submit photos and drawings with regard to the following. Photos should be shot by a digital camera or scanned by a scanner, printed in color and then submitted. The size should in principle be 20X25 cm, but can be adjusted according to the size of the target equipment.

Parts location diagram
The photo should show all components of the equipment with the case opened (A CAD drawing may be submitted instead of the drawings).


[Case Study] Labtop (Notebook Computer)

[Case Study] Laptop (Notebook Computer)
- Soo-Gil, Kim (sgkim@kc-mark.com)

In Asia, we normally say a laptop as a NB (Notebook Computer).
What kind of certification we need to sell the NB in Korea?
NB needs only KCC approval, not requires KC approval. But AC adapter of NB needs KC and K-MEPS approval. Both are compulsory certification mark.

Almost NB supports a wired modem and a wireless Ethernet.
If the modem is a module card type, it is needed to do only EMC test. But if the modem is an on-board type, it is needed to do EMC and Wired Telecom test. In this case, Wired Telecom includes the electric safety test.
- NB (with module type modem) : EMC only (KCC EMC registration)
- NB (with on-board type model) : EMC, Safety, Wired Telec (KCC Type Approval)

If some components are the module type, the system doesn't need to get additional test. But they are the on-board type, they need to get additional test for Telec.
But the module has to get the KCC mark itself. If it has not it's own certificate, it should be tested the Telec as the system.
With the same reason, the AC adapter should get KC and K-MEPS certificate before the system apply for KCC approval.

The normal process for NB is,
1) KC and K-MEPS approval for AC adapter
2) KCC approval for NB
3) If NB uses the module type telecom components - EMC only
4) If NB uses the on-board type telecom components - EMC and Telec
5) If the module type telecom components has not it's own certificate - EMC and Telec

[Case Study] PDU (Power Distribution Unit)

[Case Study] PDU (Power Distribution Unit)
- Soo-Gil, Kim (sgkim@kc-mark.com)

Nowadays I received some question about how can get KC mark to export PDUs to Korea.
Or question about what certification they need.

To solve this problem, in first, the applicants need to know the exact meaning of KC mark.
Yes, KC mark is the certification mark for the electric safety. But it is a narrow meaning of KC mark.
KC mark is Korea Certification mark, it means that KC mark covers all products including the electric and ITE products. Actually EMC test is including to the requirements of KC mark for ITE products.

To get KC mark for PDU, we have to define it has a internal PCB or not.
1) PDU with PCB
- PDU with PCB needs both certification mark of KCC and KC
- After getting KCC certificate, EMC test for KC is exempted
- PDU with PCB is in the scope of KCC approval, but PDU without PCB is out of the scope.
2) PDU without PCB
- PDU without PCB needs only KC approval
- In this case, it doesn't need to do EMC test for KC

KC (electric safety) mark follows CB scheme.
Therefore almost electric safety tests are exempted, if we submit CB certi & report to KATS.
In the same reason, EMC test for KC is exempted, if we submit KCC certi & report.

The normal process to get KC mark for PDU is,
1) CB approval
2) KCC approval (if it has PCB)
3) KC approval (need Factory Inspection)

Why we need CB certification to get KC mark?
If you have any experience to get CCC mark for China market, you can understand it easily.